PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WPRI) — As temperatures drop, people are turning their heaters back on, and National Grid is reminding residents to beware of carbon monoxide dangers.
“Taking proper safety precautions now can prevent senseless tragedies from occurring in the months ahead,” said Tim Horan, the president of National Grid in Rhode Island.
Carbon monoxide is an invisible and odorless gas that can be deadly if left undetected.
To help guard against CO poisoning, you’re advised to install a CO detector on every floor, arrange for an annual check of your heating system by a licensed professional, and check chimneys or flues for debris and have them cleaned periodically.
If you suspect a leak, get out of the house and call 911 immediately.