Summer is fading into a memory now. The longs days of swimming, hiking and riding bikes will be replaced by skiing, snowboarding and ice skating. But before you head out to enjoy the snow, take some time and get your home ready for the cold weather ahead.
Here are some tips from my favorite home repair and DIY guru, Bob Vila
Windows and Doors
- Check all the weather-stripping around windows and door frames for leaks to prevent heat loss. Replace weather-stripping, if necessary.
- Replace all screen doors with storm doors.
- Replace all window screens with storm windows.
- Examine wooden window frames for signs of rot or decay. Repair or replace framing to maintain structural integrity.
- Check for drafts around windows and doors. Caulk inside and out, where necessary, to keep heat from escaping.
- Inspect windows for cracks, broken glass, or gaps. Repair or replace, if needed.
Heating, Ventilating, and Air Conditioning
View original post 444 more words